I did not ask for shin splints for Christmas.

I had a great Christmas. I ran a fun but rainy Christmas Eve fartlek with my brother and sister. There was the traditional bonfire and drinking and so much good food; turkey, ham, pecan pie, grapefruit, eggnog, doughnuts, and margaritas.  Feliz Navidad!  I got new boots, a beautiful quilt, pottery, a painting and a new board game!


Merry Christmas from the Angel Family (Yes, that's brandy.)

On Wednesday it was a nasty rainy morning and I decided to go shopping for the things I want but didn't get for Christmas. A bright yellow rain jacket to run in, more running tights, etc. We started at REI and went all the way out to Inside Out Sports in Cary. So many pink and purple running jackets, but I want a yellow one.  No luck, but I did find some capri tights and long sleeve tops on clearance at REI.

While we drove to Cary, the rain let up and I just kept thinking I could be running right now. By the time we got back I was starving. Had to eat before I could run, then wait an hour or so.

By the time I got to run, I was raring to go. I decided to do a 5 mile tempo run. The first mile warmup, then each mile at progressively faster paces: 9:40, 9:30, 9:20 and finally 9:00. I hit near the right pace on all but the third mile, which had more hills. Then I cooled off running home, about a quarter mile.  Sometime in the last mile I felt some discomfort in my shins, both sides. I noted it in my training journal and didn't worry about it.

That night I was trying to go to sleep and my shins hurt again. In the morning I looked it up; diagnosis shin splints. One of the most common running injuries, it could be caused by increasing mileage too quickly, increasing speed too quickly, too much downhill running or running in old shoes.

Did I screw up and do one or more of these things?  I have been increasing my mileage again after the marathon recovery, and the last week was a big jump from previous mileage.  Check.  I need to pay attention to the rule of not increasing mileage by more than 10% from one week to the next. I've also been going a lot faster now because my endurance is better.  Check.  Too much downhill? Well, does it count if you also run up the hill? Check. Running in old shoes?  This one I'm not sure if I'm guilty or not.  I've been alternating between a new pair of shoes I bought a couple weeks ago and the pair I finished the last few weeks of marathon training in.  I'm not sure since I alternated them in and didn't keep track of mileage, but they still feel cushioned.

So, I need to do more calf raises and cross training, pay attention to how many runs I do fast and not increase my mileage too quickly. Do more running on soft surfaces and possibly some barefoot running once a week. I also need to remember not to increase my mileage too quickly!  I took Thursday and Friday off from running.  This Saturday morning I am going to do 6 miles, once the rain lets up.  Anytime now....

Comments

Popular Posts