Day 23 - Zero in Big Bear

I woke and got on my phone to check on the world, to find a wind advisory had been issued for the area until tomorrow afternoon.  Winds of 25-35 mph, gusts up to 60 mph, with gusts up to 70 mph on ridges.  Well, looks like I'm taking a zero and waiting out this wind.  70 mph is enough to knock down trees, and certainly enough to knock a hiker off a ridge.  The wind we hiked in out of Julian was maybe 40 mph and I felt like I needed​ to hold onto the cliff side at one point.

I ate 8 poptarts that morning.  I would say I'm not proud of it, but I am.  1680 calories before 10 am is a good morning.  I decided for this zero, I would try to constantly eat so that I was never hungry.  I needed to top off my energy reserves for the next leg.

I repackaged my food into ziplocs, raided the hotel hiker box and went to the village in Big Bear Lake to pick up a package.  I also went to the Verizon store and switched over my phone.  Google Fi was great at home and in cities, but I needed a more extensive network for the trail.

We ended the day with Mexican food at La Paws Inn, very good food but not great vegan options.

Comments

Popular Posts